Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Sense Of Self


Throughout my life there have been many components that make up my concept of self. Self refers to the unique set of traits, behaviors, and attitudes that distinguishes one person from the next (137). My family, culture, and my schooling have all been agents of my socialization. These different concepts have been steps in my socialization as a member in society. I have taken on many roles that allow me to have different opportunities to experience different things that I look back on as making me who I am.



My middle school: Crosswinds Arts and Science
Education was an experience that is a big part of what shapes who I am now. I am very passionate about my education and that comes from the different schools that have taught me how to work hard for positive results. I went to charter schools until I was in 11th grade and through that I got a unique form of education that other students might not have gotten if they went to public schools. Once I entered into public high school I knew that I was on my way to college. I took college prep classes and was on the higher level of the tracking system. A lot of what schools taught me is how to act in a scholarly setting. They taught me behavioral concepts such as raising my hand to answer questions and to sit and face the teacher while they were talking. My charter schools were also big on teaching us morals, one of the main ones being how to interact with others and how to be a substantial member of a community. One thing that I did learn is that charter schools taught me how to think more critically than my public high school. So I was able to be exposed to two separate ways of analyzing things in a cultural standpoint. It has been a big part of how I have been socialized into a successful college student.


My Family
I grew up in a lower middle class household. When I was younger both of my parents had substantial jobs where we were not strapped for money. In this I was spoiled a little through classes such as Korean dancing, softball, and other extra activities. Needless to say we were living somewhat comfortably and I was a child that got what I asked for most of the time. Then my dad lost his job which made us shift our way of living. This shifted the way we looked at money and we were not able to have as many luxuries as we had before. I learned quickly that if I wanted something I had to earn it myself. The fact that my parents did not have much money to spoil me anymore made me realize that you have to work hard for what you want. This has brought me to where I am now, where I am paying for my own college education and working two jobs. Seeing my parents struggle financially has taught me that success comes from working hard and relying on yourself to get there.




My childhood church: Hope Evangelical Free Church
Although I am not religious, I grew up in a household where religion was very important. My parents taught me to be thankful for what we had because God was the one who brought it to us. I was also taught my morals through religion. I had a very strong sense of what was right and what was wrong according to what I learned at church services. This religious upbringing had a substantial impact on my socialization because it impacted what my parents exposed me to as a child. These experiences were formed around what the church believed was socially acceptable. This resulted in a very sheltered childhood and I was not exposed to very much. As I grew up and had other world views shared with me, my viewpoints changed. Like Newman mentions religion does not have as much hold on society as it did in the past. I grew up and grew out of my religion but it still has a huge impact on who I am as a person because of what I learned in the past.



These three agents of socialization play a huge part in my sense of self. As I grew up my past experiences and how I was raised impact who I am now. I am continually exposed to different forms of culture that may affect my views in the future. I am constantly being resocialized into new sets or norms, values, and expectations each time I leave behind old social contexts or roles and enter new ones (142). All these components play a huge part in my sense of identity and I will continue to expand my growth as a person in society. 

2 comments:

  1. Taty,

    This is a good post because it really ties in concepts like self, agents of socialization ,and resocialization with the whole idea of how your sense of self has been influenced throughout your life.

    Your post is definitely very organized with key examples from three of the many agents of socialization that Newman mentions in the text.

    I also like how you do a good job linking these concepts to your own experience such as how your viewpoints changed after being exposed to viewpoints outside of your religious experience. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I found a couple spots where you missed some commas, but overall it was fun to read.

    ReplyDelete