Thursday, January 10, 2013

Chapter 6: Pressures of Job Interviews


As you grow up, you are taught what job interviews consist of and how to prepare for one. You are taught that your first impression on your potential employer is one of the most important things and if you do not make an impact, you are less likely to get the job. You are taught how to dress and how to present yourself to your employer to make the greatest impact on that person so that you leave a lasting impression so that they will consider hiring you.



Within this last year I applied for a promotion at my job with Saint Paul Parks and Recreation for the Rec Leader position. My boss at the rec center warned me that this was going to be a very competitive procedure and that it was going to be a grueling process. I was mentored by my supervisor on my impression management to present a favorable public image of myself (175). My first impression did not even come from my appearance; it came from my resume where I had to present myself favorably through writing. The higher ups would analyze my accomplishments and how well I presented them on paper. Through this they already knew of my history and what I claim to be my best presentation myself as an employee.

I got called into an interview along with about fifty other applicants. This was the first interview where they would weed out people that they thought were not qualified for the position. As I prepared for the interview I put on my best suit and made sure that everything about my appearance was up to par. I also prepared myself to perform my best in the questioning process. Newman mentions in the text that this is considered to be “dramaturgy”, where the situation is considered to be something like a theatrical performance (176). I genuinely felt like I was preparing for a performance. I had stage fright and jitters as I prepared to give my best performance to my audience of employers.

As I entered the area for my interview I made sure to follow all of the rules of an interview that I had been taught in the past. I was determined to keep my composure even though I was nervous and not spoil the identity I had made for myself. I knew that I had to keep calm and not stammer though the interview because that is not a quality employer’s look for in their employees. As I started my interview I did let my nerves take over and stammered through an answer to a question. I was embarrassed about my nerves and was worried that my impression was discredited. In result of this I thought I should explain actions to try and regain some credit. I let them know that I was a little nervous because I was really excited to be there. We laughed about it a little bit and carried on with the interview which ended up going really well.

Through this experience I was able establish a good impression on the people that I work for. I was also able to prove to them that I was qualified to gain more responsibility in their department. I was able to carry my identity forward to become a Rec Leader in the city of Saint Paul. This experience showed me how impressions can be established if you follow the expectation that others have of you but also display your own twist of personality that makes you different from others that they may be in consideration as well. 

Work Cited: 

Newman, D.M. (2012). Sociology: Exploring the Architecture of Everyday life. 9th Ed. Pine Forge Press: Thousand Oaks, California. 

2 comments:

  1. Taty,

    Excellent post. I really enjoyed your video on the "do's" and "don'ts" of interviews. I like how you tied impression management into your personal anecdote about successfully achieveing a higher job position.

    I also liked how you indicated the importance of covering up for mistakes or nervousness. That is definitely important in job interviews and other occasions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit a lot of the key words that were in the chapter. You tied them all together very nicely. Interviews were a perfect example to demonstrate how these things play into our everyday life!

    ReplyDelete