Monday, January 7, 2013

Billboards




I tend to be very passionate about who I am and my beliefs. It was hard to pick only a few personal billboards to show who I am and what I stand for. As Newman states, “personal billboards, communicate messages cheaply and are available to any group or individual with a vehicle or a wardrobe” (73). Finding pictures about what I am deeply passionate about was a little difficult to find but I think these few really show who I am as a person. 


My dad is a Korean adoptee. He has taught me that I should be very proud of my culture and has made sure that his kids were exposed to this as we grew up. Since he grew up in a White, Texan family, it took him a while to find pride in his heritage. So I continue to carry on his pride to be Korean. 



Being a member of the LGBTQ community, I am very proud of the progress we have made as a community. It took me a while to be completely proud of who I am coming from a conservative family. Now I not only stand up for my own rights but those of other minority statuses. Acceptance of people who are different than us broadens our perspectives and promotes a better community for everyone. 


I have lived in the Twin Cities my whole life. I also lived most of my life on the East Side of Saint Paul. Living in the cities comes natural to me and I could not see myself living anywhere else. I love the cities and the diversity that comes with it. 


When I was in high school I was a part of a group called the Saint Paul Youth Commission. This group gave youth a voice in Saint Paul and gave us the opportunity to make change. Through this I found my love for youth work and have been working with youth for the past five years. I hope to continue to work with youth in my future careers.

Personal Billboards continue to be important to the community. It allows us to show others what we are passionate about without having thorough conversations. They can also ignite conversations that can expand our knowledge of certain perspectives. They give individuals the freedom of speech through t-shirts, signs, bumper stickers  and many other means of expression.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Taty,

    This post was great. I like the way that the images have frames around them to blend in with the background. Again, your layout is well-balanced and easy to read.

    I agree with your idea that personal billboards are a way of showing others what individuals are passionate about. Also, having a t-shirt of one's flag is a great way of showing national pride and self-confidence in one's own identification. Personal billboards are effective in really showing that there are lesser known groups and minorities that many of us are not aware of or take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! And, Steven, kudos for the thoughtful comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taty,

    I think it's really cool how you aim to help others that hold a "minority status." Being proud of yourself and staying true to who you are is so important. My post was all about being beYOUtiful.

    Your blog looks really nice and is easy to read. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete